Foreign ministry refutes criticism it offered lukewarm assistance to mugged Korean in Italy

Bomi Yoon

A Korean who got robbed and physically attacked by a group of muggers in Italy is seen in this undated file photo. Captured from JTBC Youtube

A Korean who got robbed and physically attacked by a group of muggers in Italy is seen in this undated file photo. Captured from JTBC Youtube

The foreign ministry said Tuesday it provided swift consular service to a Korean who was robbed in Italy earlier this month.

In early January, four Koreans traveling in Milan, including the man in his 20s, were targeted with racial slurs and physically attacked by a group of muggers, a Korean broadcaster reported Monday.

The man claimed the Korean consulate general in Milan said it could only provide directions to the emergency room and the police when he called for help, without offering interpretation or other services, according to the report.

The ministry told reporters it provided swift consular assistance immediately after the incident was filed early in the morning on Jan. 4, saying the consulate general talked to one of the victims to ask about their injuries and damage, gave directions to the hospital and filed a report to the local police.

The consulate general also called the victim later that day and on Jan. 12 to confirm the victim’s safety, it said. (Yonhap)

Leave a Comment